2018 marks the 20th iteration of the RBC Canadian Painting Competition, produced in partnership with Canadian Art. The competition seeks to support and nurture the next generation of Canadian artists by providing them with a forum to display their talents to the country. Finalists are selected by three regional juries, comprised of experienced gallery directors, artists, curators and industry leaders. Jurors choose five paintings from each of the three regions, narrowing down the selection to 15 finalists.
The three juries convene for a two-day deliberation, and determine one national winner and two honourable mentions from the shortlist. The winner of the 2018 RBC Canadian Painting Competition will be announced on September 17th at an awards Gala in Toronto. The top prize includes $25,000 and the residency with Banff Centre for the Arts. Two honourable mentions will each receive $15,000, and the remaining 12 finalists will receive $2,500 each. The paintings by the winner and two honourable mentions will be added to RBC’s extensive art collection, featuring more than 4,500 Canadian works that have been collected since 1929.
The 2018 call for applications is now closed. Finalists will be announced on June 27, 2018, and all 15 artists will have their work exhibited at The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery in Toronto, Ontario.
Details and rules of the competition can be found at rbc.com/paintingcompetition.
- Natasha Chaykowski – Researcher, Writer & Curator, Calgary, AB
- Mark Igloliorte – Artist & Assistant Professor, Emily Carr University of Art & Design, Vancouver, BC
- Crystal Mowry – Artist & Senior Curator, Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery, Kitchener, ON
- Erin Stump – Director, ESP | Erin Stump Projects, Toronto, ON
- Alexandra McIntosh – Director of Programs and Exhibitions, Fogo Island Arts, Fogo Island, NL
- Julie Trudel – Artist & RBC Canadian Painting Competition Alumni (2011, 2012), Montreal, QC
- Cynthia Daignault – Artist, Brooklyn, NY