Reporting to: Interim Publisher
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Downtown Toronto/Remote (until 2021)
Compensation: The compensation package includes a competitive base salary of $48–$60K, a full benefits package and 3 weeks’ paid vacation to start.
Reporting to the Interim Publisher, the Audience Development & Digital Coordinator oversees all marketing initiatives for Canadian Art. They deeply understand the drive and mission of Canadian Art and relate that in all public-facing materials with the intention to increase engagement and revenue. The incumbent is a talented and experienced writer who can translate the mission and mandate of the organization across all platforms, adjusting the voice for different audiences as required. The position participates in programming, circulation and sponsorship meetings, working collaboratively to support editorial, circulation, donor and sponsor participation efforts.
- Create and execute an annual marketing plan designed to reach new audiences for all activities of the organization, including digital and social media strategies.
- Execute marketing and promotional activities specific to each issue of the magazine, finding avenues for new audiences.
- Oversight of creative production, copy and distribution of all marketing collateral in both print and digital formats, including house advertising, event marketing and fundraising materials.
- Develop and implement digital marketing initiatives for website, email, display advertising, and paid social media campaigns.
- Work with Programs and Partnerships Manager to manage marketing/ticket sales campaigns and strategies for programs and events.
- Ensure effective brand development following strategy guidelines and clear brand messages to be communicated across all marketing and communications campaigns.
- Manage the planning and implementation of email marketing program; supervises design and approval of content internally and externally to ensure timely review and deployment of email in compliance with CASL.
- Work with Consumer Marketing Manager to promote magazine subscriptions on web, social media and at events throughout the year.
- Work with Advertising Sales Director to create sales sheets for print and digital products.
Audience Development and Editorial Collaboration
- Oversee and direct online presence, social media, print advertising, email campaigns and other digital content to achieve marketing, audience and sponsor relationship (including sponsored and supported editorial content) and strategic communications and readership growth goals.
- Manage social media strategy for editorial, programming and events, including developing strategy for engaging new platforms, posting daily web stories, maintaining a consistent voice across all platforms.
- Track social media and email marketing KPIs, monitoring audience growth and engagement and adjusting strategy as required.
- Advise editorial staff on headlines and decks for web stories, in keeping with knowledge of audience behaviour, as well as SEO and Google Analytics data.
- Coordinate digital projects, including presentation of editorial special sections online.
- Collaborate with editorial staff on the digital newsletter, including creating subject lines and scheduling content.
- Ensure consistency in all organization communications.
- Provide direction and feedback to Designer on marketing collateral for all departments, including managing design requests for priority, approving deliverables and monitoring workflow based on design requests.
Education and Experience Requirements
- A degree in Marketing/Communications or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 3 to 4 years digital marketing experience with emphasis on strategy and content creation.
- Prior experience in email marketing (Campaign Monitor) and online content management (WordPress).
- Proven understanding and success with SEO and Google Analytics.
- Proven track record of content calendar management and execution of creative social media campaigns to achieve campaign goals.
- Experience in community engagement.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Writes clear, dynamic and compelling copy to engage a variety of target audiences.
- Strong, confident leadership qualities.
- Clear and concise communication with team members.
- Exceptional grammar and written communication skills.
- Excellent planning, time-management and follow-through skills.
- Must possess superior organizational abilities and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Superior problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment and possess the ability to foster strong internal and external relationships.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about contemporary art.
Canadian Art is the preeminent platform for journalism and criticism about contemporary art and culture in Canada. Our print, digital, educational and programming initiatives deliver smart, accessible ideas, stories and opinions. A national non-profit foundation, Canadian Art develops and supports art writers, and engages with the work of artists, established and new. We develop inclusive platforms to understand, debate and be inspired by art.
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com : a letter outlining your interest in the position and your current CV. Please use the subject line “Audience Development & Digital Coordinator.” Applications will only be accepted by email.
Canadian Art works to promote an intersectional understanding of identity and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. We encourage applications from individuals within Canadian Art’s employment equity categories, including those who identify as women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, individuals of non-conforming gender and sexual orientations and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code. Canadian Art is committed to equity and diversity, and to a positive, supportive working environment. Canadian Art’s office is fully accessible. Please let us know should you require accommodation during any part of this recruitment process.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.