The University of Saskatchewan Department of Art & Art History offers numerous degrees in Studio Art including a BA (three-year and four-year) in Studio Art or Art History, Honours BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts, four-year), and Minor in Studio Art. Our MFA (Master of Fine Arts) is well-established and recognized nationally.
Our programs offer intensive professional development, integration of theory and practice, and material-based, practical and experiential learning. Classes in art history/visual culture are pertinent and relevant to contemporary contexts and include courses in Aboriginal art history and post-colonialism.
Our Studio Art program offers rigorous explorations in a wide range of media including painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, printmaking, extended and digital media and interdisciplinary practices. We offer unique, interdisciplinary degrees within the College of Arts and Science: BA-BSc degrees (with the computer science and psychology departments) and a Minor in Digital Culture and New Media (with the English and sociology departments).
Our program includes media investigations with courses in studio research, professional practice, art history, contemporary art and open electives preparing students for career success as artists, historians, academic scholars, and hybrid creative practitioners. We encourage the development of critical thinking, visual literacy, cultural sensitivity and awareness, and professional/entrepreneurial innovation relevant to creative professionals in a contemporary visual environment.
Our program’s uniqueness:
- Focus on sustainable studio practices in professional print, photo, sculpture, painting and drawing studios
- Solo graduating BFA and MFA exhibitions for all majors and regular group exhibitions for all students
- Selective direct entry to BFA program with portfolio review
- Friendly, involved faculty of professional studio artists and art historians
- Collegial atmosphere supporting student-directed learning
- Active Visual Artists Student Union (VASU)
- Interdisciplinary collaborations with other departments and faculty
- Internships and teaching assistant opportunities (MFA)
- Visiting artists lectures and studio visits
Facilities and Resources:
- Large, ventilated painting and drawing studios
- Fully equipped photography studio with both digital and wet labs including historical processes
- One of the best printmaking facilities in Canada
- Newly renovated sculpture and extended media facility supports woodworking, plaster-casting, sandblasting, waxworks, welding, kilns for firing clay and bronze casting
- Digital Resource Centre with industry standard hardware and software
- Professional exhibition opportunities in our departmental teaching gallery (Gordon Snelgrove Gallery http://www.usask.ca/snelgrove/ )
- Strong relationship with campus galleries (Kenderdine/College Galleries), artist-run centres (AKA and Paved arts) and the new, award-winning Remai Modern Art Gallery
- Beautiful campus with historical stone buildings, lush landscaping and ideal location along the Meeswasin Valley Trail and the South Saskatchewan River
- Welcoming and rapidly growing mid-sized city with thriving cultural scene in close proximity to the river, biking and walking trails, forests, parks and lakes
MFA – Master of Fine Arts (Studio)
MA Special Case – Art History
BFA Honours (Studio)
BA 4yr (Studio)
BA 4yr (Art History)
BA 3yr (Studio)
BA 3yr (Art History)
University of Saskatchewan Admission Requirements
College of Arts and Science: